Welcome to my blog!
It's all about whimsy, art and Halloween!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

31 Days of Halloween - Day 25 - Wicked Wire Wrapping for a Pendant

Wicked Wire Wrapping by Candace Jedrowicz

 Well, here we are on day 25! That's right, and you are hopping onto the Smeared and Smudged Forum's 31 Days of Halloween Blog Hop! Yea!  I love all the wonderful projects that I'm seeing on my daily hops!  Take a bow, Wicked Bloggers!

Below are all the fabulous bloggers:
 
 
Making jewelry findings can be lots of fun and way easier than you think! In this tutorial, I'll show you how to make a bail for a pendant. It can be used on anything that has a front to back hole that you want to string on a chain.

Click here to see how the cardboard pendant was made

Materials:
20 Gauge wire - 6"
Accent bead
Round nose pliers
Chain nose pliers
Wire Cutters

1. Measuring 1 1/2" from one end of the wire, bend the wire around something large enough for your pendant piece. I used a jump ring sizer, but you could use anything. Crimp the wrapped wire just below where they meet.
2. You just made the loop to go through the hole on your pendant piece. Slide the pendant piece on the loop.
3. Grasp the loop on the outside of the pendant piece using the round nose pliers. Bend the short wire tail to the side and wrap it around the long wire tail.
4. Slide on and accent bead. In the video, I didn't wrap the short tail before adding the bead. I chose a bead with a hole large enough to fit over both wire tails and wrapped the short tail above the bead. Either way is fine.
5. Starting just above the bead, wrap the long tail around a pencil (or anything you have handy) twice. At the end of the second wrap, cross the wire over to the other side of the first wrap and wrap the tail around between the double loop and the bead.

It won't look manufactured, but I happen to like the wabi-sabi style. Imperfect is charming to me!

15 comments:

  1. I'm just sort of starting to try some jewelry and find your tuts sooo helpful. Your projects ROCK! Thanks a million. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pendant. I love the popping color and the bird off set is a nice touch. Thank you for sharing your artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another nice informative tutorial!! You are the best for sharing all of your fabulous tricks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cute little pendant! Love it and your instructions are great. I also love the raven that is sitting on the pendant, though I don't think he's part of the actual project I think he's darling! You put these tutorials together very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Candace...loved the video...you make everything look so easy...I will be giving this wire wrapping a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute pendant! Love it! I wish I could wrap my bails as well as you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great pendant! Love it! I wish I could do my bails as well as you do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome pendant and tutorial! I am a visual learner so being able to watch you wrap wire is super helpful to me as I really want to be able to make some basic jewelry at some point. You are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always make it look so easy! I may have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another fab creation, love it!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete