Welcome to my blog!
It's all about whimsy, art and Halloween!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Kitschy Shoe! Bless ya, Hon!



My latest kitschy art piece is an homage to "The Avenue" in Hampden, Maryland. An avenue immersed in the kitschy culture of Baltimore in the 1960's that was the frame for John Waters' movie Hairspray. A real high heel shoe, cut in half, serves as the foundation for this framed art.

Watch my Kitschy High Heel in Frame YouTube video tutorial!
Materials:
Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue
Buttons - I used tons of gorgeous Blumenthal Lansing buttons
12" x 12" dimensional frame
One high heel shoe - cut in half length wise with a band saw using a carbide tip multi-purpose blade
Decorative paper
Gems, letters, tiny nick knacks, doo dads and memorabilia
Hot glue

1. Cover the inner sole of the shoe half with decorative paper.

2. Add layers of foam or whatever you have to be sure the shoe will have complete contact with the frame back. Use Super Thick Tacky Glue to attach the shoe to the background. Allow to dry overnight.

3. Place your message first - I used a postcard above the shoe, so the letters were arranged around it.


4. Add your embellishments - I glued a base layer of buttons on the shoe, then glued everything I could fit over that, keeping my favorite buttons visible.

5. Add any embellishments to the background. My only regret that I didn't have a tiny pink flamingo and horn-rimmed glasses to add!



No comments:

Post a Comment