Welcome to my blog!
It's all about whimsy, art and Halloween!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

31 Days of Halloween - Day 2 - Monster Football


 Day 2 of Smeared and Smudged Forum's 31 Days of Halloween Blog Hop!
Below are all the fabulous bloggers:
Here's a Halloween project for the kids - A paper football built around a set of vampire teeth that they can paint and glue faces on and will hold up to rough play!

My oldest kidlet (my brother's grand kids) is 11 and the youngest is 6. We recently started having one party a month where one kidlet gets to pick the theme, help with the invitations, plan the meal and come up with a craft. We drew names to see who got which month.

Stevie had the month of September. He couldn't decide between a football theme or a monster theme, hence the monster football.

My daughter and I put the balls together in about an hour and the only thing I had to buy was the teeth, so this is a pretty economical project.

Materials:
  • Plastic vampire teeth - the cheap kind with upper and lower teeth connected
  • Hot glue
  • Felt in various colors
  • Lots of cheap masking tape - painter's tape won't stick when you start painting recycled paper Scissors
I started with teeth and red felt.
I traced around the teeth on the felt leaving 1 1/2" on both sides.
The side pieces are 1" and you can see I've marked the center for cutting.
Glue the upper and lower curves of the felt to the inside of the teeth.
 Cut the side pieces as marked. Fold the pieces over the sides of the teeth and glue in place.
Cut a strip of felt to fit all the way around the outside of the teeth with the teeth partially closed.
Glue in place.
You can see that the mouth is secured here and can't open any more than this.
Begin building the paper football around the mouth, securing the first piece with glue.
I used recycled packing paper, but anything will do.
Tape down every layer of bunched paper with tape, but not this blue tape as it's designed to come off easily and you don't want that for this project.
Shape as you go.
This is as far as my daughter and I went.
The kids got to paint it before dinner, then design the lips, eyes and stripes from felt.
I did the gluing, because my new hot glue gun is way hot!
After we were done, my brother and I went outside to be the ghoulposts for the kids. It was a hoot!
Stevie is demonstrating his scary football face! Eeek! Too much fun!

42 comments:

  1. What an awesome project and a great tutorial I am going to get my boys to have a go at making one of these :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A monster foot ball how fun is that? and the kids look like they are having a hoot of a time! Thanks for the tut as well!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun and creative! Looks like the kids are having a ball! (Pun intended) LOL xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha - what a brilliant idea. :-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea looks like the kids are having a great time playing with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun and what a wonderful artsy crew! fantastic!loved your project.
    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun project! Looks like everyone had fun making there own! You Rock! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the monster football!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGOSH..I LOVE this. I have a 9yr old that is going to love making one of these. Thank you for sharing the tut with us so that we can.

    Regi ^_^
    Happy Hauntings!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fanged football- how creative! love that u got the kids pumped for halloween with this craft too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having so much fun visiting your blog! Another awesome project and tutorial! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your monster football
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a spectacular project for kids. I might have an opportunity to use it this fall but usually it's just the old folks here ;).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun and such a great idea. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fun idea, thanks for sharing it with us.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun to get the kids involved - you can tell that they had a blast doing it. I love the use of the vampire teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun idea, looks like the kids loved it. I would have never thought of somethign like this, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun project!! I always see those teeth and never know what to do with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. how neat! i love this, my son loves football, this is perfect for him! thanks for the great tut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! I hope you get to try it. The kids make it hilarious!

      Delete
  20. This really made me smile, what a fun idea, thanks for sharing how you made it
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete