Welcome to my blog!
It's all about whimsy, art and Halloween!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

31 Days of Halloween - Day 19 - Kitschy Pumpkin


Oh my heck! It's day 19 of Smeared and Smudged Forum's 31 Days of Halloween Blog Hop! Yea!

Below are all the fabulous bloggers:
It's time to pitch some kitsch! I LOVE kitsch! I make kitschy art every chance I get! Grab your buttons, charms, broken jewelry, beads, flowers..Well, just grab everything and lets get to gluing!

Materials:
Wood pumpkin cut out (Thank you Hubby)
Acrylic paint - I used brown
Paper towels
Hot glue gun and plenty of glue sticks
Embellishments: buttons, beads, gems, shrink plastic pieces, odds and ends leftover from crafting, small chip board pieces, tiny toys, and anything else you can think of! I used handmade clay buttons and skulls and polymer clay beads, small things that I've deemed to personal too throw away or use on art for sale.
This is my first kitschy piece. I am in love with this style! On of the coolest things on her is the big eye that moves when you turn it.I love it!
Paint your pumpkin with brown acrylic and wipe off with paper towels before it dries.Gather the things you might want to use. Make sure there are tons of choices.I limited my choices to Halloween colors, but mostly orange.
Before beginning to glue, try things in different positions to get an idea of what will look just right for you.
I started by gluing my biggest piece - the flower. Make sure your most important pieces will fit.The base layer will likely not be seen in the final version, so hold back the best stuff.
The second layer will be the larger pieces.Stop and look around the room now, did you miss anything cool that would work well on this piece?
The final layer will be smaller pieces and fill-ins.Don't stop until it's just right!My favorite things: The Buddha eraser, the zombie coffee coffee cup, the shrink plastic chocolate postcard from the Field museum's Chocolate exhibit - it was serendipitous that we were in Chicago when the exhibit was there, the key charm I received in a Halloween charm swap, and all the tiny clay skullies that I made years ago.

23 comments:

  1. OMG! Seriously I'm speechless! That is just so damn cool and the clock, LOVE!, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh! It's addictive! After I did the clock, I did a pedestal and a frame. It makes you look for tiny things everywhere - in gumball machines, in junk drawers, on the ground. Too much fin!

      Delete
  2. OMG!!! Fabulous technique! You have the coolest ideas! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS!!! I love how the colors pop. I have so many, many game pieces that this would work perfectly for. Thank you for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Pam! I bet you're looking around your house for things to kitsch up, right now! Lol!

      Delete
  4. You DO have the coolest ideas! This is a wonderful way to use up the bits and pieces we accumulate - I 'm thinking of the junk drawer!! Love your pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I hope you try it! It's a process of layering that is cathartic!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you do get to make one! You will love it!

      Delete
  6. oh my goodness i have just got to try this one. my son loves clocks this is a hoot and beautiful.I love it.
    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I would love to see it when you do!

      Delete
  7. Wow! what a fabulous make, with so many wonderful details to look at, love it
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my fav is the Zombie coffee cup too LOL! I have never heard of this style before, but you have done a splendid job here! The clock is awesome too! You just amaze me you really do!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesone! Gorgeous colors.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so marvelously fun! I definitely have a lot of stuff laying around unused and this is a perfect project to clear out some of my stash...you know...so I can buy more ;) Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing project! Love the clock and this pumpkin is just too cool! Love all the orange bits :)

    ReplyDelete