Welcome to my blog!
It's all about whimsy, art and Halloween!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Reverse Painted Pumpkin Plate

Reverse Painted Plate by Candace Jedrowicz

It's day 6 of Smeared and Smudged Forum's 31 Days of Halloween Blog Hop!  This has been so much fun, hopping and commenting AND I thank everyone for the awesome comments you've give me! 
Below are all the fabulous bloggers:

Last year C2C's Tiffany Windsor shared a Christmas Ornament Reverse Painted Plate and Candace J fell in love with it! In Candace's mind that technique could lead to fabulous possibilities! First stop: Halloween! Materials: Glass Plate Glass Paints - Purple, black, orange, turquoise and green Black puffy paint
Choose a design you like and tape it face down on the front of the place.
Turn the plate over and trace the outline of your image with the black puffy paint.I added a freehand design around the edge. You're welcome to use it if you like. Allow to dry.
Pain in the sections with the glass paints.If you plan to do any shading or highlighting, you'll want to do that first. I added yellow to the orange for highlights and darkened the orange for shading. You don't have to be precise painting, if you paint over the puffy paint lines, it won't show. You may need three or more coats to make the colors opaque.
Paint black on the back of the plate after the colors have dried. It gives it a finished look.

27 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is beautiful! What a great project and thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fABULOUS colours - this is awesome :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! So freakin' cool! what great ideas you have! Love it. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is trippy cool! Awesome idea! Your so clever! Great job, and tks for showing how you did this, it makes more since to me that way.
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another brilliant offering! I love the finished result! I must give this a try when glass paints go on sale. Do you need to seal the back of the plate? I imagine the plate it is for decoration only and not dishwasher safe, but if I am wrong please tell me because I will be crafting my own dinnerware from now on :) This may be my favorite project yet, but the cake mail is right up there with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, M'Lady! The back gets painted in a solid color glass paint and when dry, is food ready! My fearless leader says - Handmade Handwash
      I would so love to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  6. The bright colors make your design POP. I love your freehand border too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea and a great piece to display with Halloween cookies. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I'm picturing delicious Halloween cookies right now!

      Delete
  8. Great job, really awesome creation.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your plate must try that
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! I hope you do (I want to see it)!

      Delete
  10. love,love,LOVE your pumpkin plate!! The colors and pumpkin are soooo fun

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so neat - thanks so much for showing the steps on how to do this. The colors you used are just fabulous! What a great project and it turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This rocks! Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to do it with puffy paint! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome plate! This was so clever. I love the colors you used. Fantastic tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow this is amazing!! how cool would that look with Halloween candy on it :D you are so talented! xx

    ReplyDelete